Um, good morning! K maybe afternoon for some of you (heeeey East coast!). Happy FRIDAY! Friyay! WEEKEND! Who else is excited?? I most certainly am. I also just ordered this bangin’ t-shirt which perfectly encapsulates all of my life feelings/goals/realities. THE BEST!
You know what also encapsulates all of my life feelings/goals/realities? THESE COOKIES. Almonds (duh, love them), coffee (ummmm helllooooo!), and CHOCOLATE. Do I really need to explain that? Oh and butter. Obvi. Butter is to cookies and coffee is to Mary. Err, what? I’m not sure that’s gonna make it on the SAT this year.
Seriously though: these cookies are my new bffs. I really just took my normal shortbread recipe (like I used for these jalapeño shortbread cookies!) and added some espresso, ground almonds, and chocolate. Not rocket science here, folks. Nutty! Chocolatey! COFFEE-EE! Let’s make these cookies every morning and call them breakfast, K!? OKAY!
Aside from being way too excited about these cookies (sorry/not sorry) I’m feeling like OMG I AM LEAVING THE COUNTRY IN A WEEK AND HAVE SO MUCH TO DO. I’m out of town this weekend spending time with family at the beach, then have basically 3.5 days to cook lots of stuff (and somehow eat it?), pack, plan Scotland/Iceland (yeah, I still haven’t. Good thing I have 10 planned days in England first!), teach a bunch of yoga classes, and generally figure out my life. NBD. The good news: I finally got an Oregon drivers license! YAAY! It only took me two months. Again, NBD. I’m making good adult choices (but am I? Oh man.).
I’ll talk more about this Europe trip next week, I’m sure, but for now all you need to know is: England, Scotland, Iceland. About a month. I’ll keep posting recipes. I’ll probably be freezing since I haven’t had to pack for cold weather in over a year. Send help? Also, this is my FIRST TIME EVER going to Europe!! How is that possible!? I’m like “yeaaah central/south america!” and “yeaah all around Asia!” but “whaaat the heck is Europe!?” Fo reals. (Again, I apologize. I’ve actually had too much coffee and too little sleep, and am therefore acting like a crazy person. You should see my fingers typing this like WHOA).
I’m gonna go ahead and leave you all on that note… I’m trying not to let 100% of my crazy escape from the inside. I gotta keep some of it, right!? Right. GO MAKE THESE COOKIES! Have a wonderful weekend! LOVE YA! xoPrint
Chocolate Almond Espresso Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24
- 2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Stir together the espresso powder and boiling water until dissolved. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the food processor pulse until fully combined.
- Add the butter, cubed, the roughly chopped almonds, and the espresso mixture to the food processor and pulse until the sound deepens and the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto the countertop and use your hands to bring it together.
- On 2 sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap, form the dough into two (separate) logs of dough about 2″ in diameter. Roll, twist the ends to seal, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350, slice the dough ¼” thick, and cook for 16-18 minutes. The bottoms of the cookies should just be turning golden, but the tops shouldn’t.
- Remove and transfer to a cooling rack. When the cookies are fully cooled, melt the chocolate chips and drizzle over the cookies.