- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked black rice
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 sliced jalapeño pepper (seeds removed for less heat)
- salt + pepper
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the smoked paprika and oregano, and cook for one minute before adding the tomato paste. Cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir the onion mixture together with the rice, apricots, walnuts, and jalapeño. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate container, mix the flax and boiling water together. The mixture should thicken. Add more water if it is too gel-like. Pour over the rice, and mix well so it is fully incorporated.
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared loaf tin, press gently in and flatten the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. The top should be dry to the touch. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before removing from the tin.