Sweet and salty bacon jam requires minimal effort, and returns a delicious topping or spread which can be used on a variety of other foods! Paired with crackers and goat cheese here, they’re a simple, perfect snack or appetizer.
- 1.5 lb. bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapeños (optional)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz goat cheese, for serving
- 1 box Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers, Original
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until very done and crispy, but not burnt.
- Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the fat and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes before adding the garlic and jalapeños.
- Once the jalapenos begin to soften (another 3 minutes or so), remove everything from the pan and put in a saucepan along with the cooked bacon, brown sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, bay leaf, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 3-4 hours. As the water reduces (every 1/2 hour), add another 1/2 cup of water.*
- After 3-4 hours, it should look sticky/jammy. Reduce the water so there’s only about 1/4 cup left, then add the pepper and transfer everything to a food processor. Pulse a few times, so there are still small chunks but it comes together like a jam.
- Taste, add more salt or pepper if needed, and serve with goat cheese and Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers (I used Original flavor).
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
*Roughly. Keep an eye on it — it should never go dry, but never be totally swimming in water.