- 5 1/2 – 7 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (enough to heartily fill a 9x13 baking dish)
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (any)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3–4 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish and fill with bread cubes. They should completely fill the dish and stick out above.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree until smooth. Pour over the bread, mixing gently to coat all pieces.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil, and refrigerate overnight (or at least a few hours!).
- When ready to bake, sprinkle brown sugar and chopped nuts over top of the bread.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-45 minutes — the top should be golden and crisped. Serve immediately with warm maple syrup.