A hearty and healthy stew that has deep, delicious, savory flavor that warms the body on brisk evenings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 small stalks; white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced (about 1/2 of one small onion)
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 ounces), trimmed, center stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 8 cups packed)
- Soak pearl barley in warm water for 30 minutes prior to beginning the rest of the recipe.
- Heat oil in a large pot, then add leeks and onions. Cook until softening, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic, and rosemary. Cook until carrots are softening, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, cook for one minute.
- Add the drained barley and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add kale, and stir until wilted. Add as much more broth as you desire, then simmer another 10 minutes.