- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper
- In a large soup pot, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Let cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, then remove from heat and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- While the potatoes are cooking (or cooling), brown the butter. In a heavy saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pan, and bring the butter to a simmer. It should fizzle and pop. Continue to stir occasionally. Once the popping has died down, keep an eye on the solids in the pan: we want them to be a dark golden brown, but not to burn. Once they are golden brown, remove from heat and pour in with the potatoes.
- Add the mascarpone, and mash the potatoes either with a masher or a hand mixer, to your desired consistency. Add cream as needed for thinning (I used only 1/4 cup).
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I used at least 1/2 tsp of each).