This soup version of Indian Butter Chicken is a family favorite and quick to throw together! It’s easily dairy-free, full of flavor, and easily frozen for future meals.
- 3 tablespoons butter (or ghee, if dairy-free), divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- salt & pepper
- lime & cilantro, for garnish
- naan & rice for serving
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and cook for a minute before adding the garlic, garam masala, ginger, chili, cumin, and cayenne. Continue to cook, scraping the bottom of the pan constantly.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the tomato sauce while vigorously scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze any stuck spices. Cook for 3 minutes, then add the coconut milk and broth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, then add the shredded chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook until the chicken is warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm with lime, cilantro, naan and/or rice.