A spiced remix on a classic. These waffles are sweet but savory and make breakfast feel like desert!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- vegetable oil, for greasing the waffle iron
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Begin heating your waffle iron before you start making the batter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and apricots. Whisk together to combine. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk together, then add carrots.
- Gently combine dry and wet ingredients until fully incorporated - allow to sit for 5 minutes before using. When the batter is ready, pour into a greased waffle iron set on medium-low heat. Allow to cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- To make the topping, whip the cream cheese with a fork (I did this after microwaving the cream cheese for 20 seconds). Mix in honey, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.