- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
- 8 drops doTerra Wild Orange Essential Oil (or other ingestible orange essential oil)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cranberries tossed in 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 4 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk together.
- Using a pastry cutter, or your food processor, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until no pieces are bigger than peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and essential oil.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just coming together. Add the chopped cranberries, and fold in carefully. Turn the entire mixture out onto your floured counter and knead 4-5 times until it really comes together. If your dough is warm and sticky, shape it into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes before continuing. Shape into a rectangle 1″ thick, and cut into 9 equal pieces.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are just turning golden.
- Combine all the ingredients for the icing and drizzle over cooled scones, when ready.