- 2/3 cup espresso (or exceptionally strong coffee)
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 egg or 2 egg yolks
- If you’re making the coffee yourself, add the halved vanilla bean to the hot coffee and let cool 10 minutes before proceeding.
- Combine the coffee, vanilla bean, and milk.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg (or yolks). Mix to combine.
- Over low heat, slowly add the milk/coffee while whisking.
- Continue to whisk over low heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat pour into small ramekins and chill. If you wish to prevent a skin from forming, press a layer of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding.
- Serve with whipped cream.