- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- flour, for work surface
- 5 1/2 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 pounds medium or thick asparagus, trimmed to the same length
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the directions on the package (let sit at room temperature for an hour, or overnight in the fridge).
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry dough out to a 16″x10″ rectangle. With a knife, lightly score a border 1″ from the edge. Do not cut all the way through.
- With a fork, prick the area inside the border in 1″ intervals.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the pastry and sprinkle the grated cheese inside the scored-border. Next, line the asparagus up horizontally, alternating which direction they face, to fill the tart.
- Brush the asparagus with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the asparagus are tender, another 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into small squares to serve.