- 1 cup almonds
- 6 cups water
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- simple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (if making chocolate)
- In a large container, cover the almonds and vanilla bean with water so there is 3" above the last almond. Let sit overnight (or at least 6 hours).
- In the morning, drain the almonds and vanilla bean. Add them to a blender with 4 cups of clean water. Blend for 1 minute on high, or until completely smooth.
- Strain through a cheesecloth, squeezing as much liquid out of the pulp as you can. Set the pulp aside and google how to use it.
- Add a sweetener of your choice, to taste.
- If making chocolate almond milk, add the cocoa powder (you'll need more sweetener too) and blend again. DO NOT add the cocoa powder before straining! It will be far too difficult.