- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (grated is even better)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Using a blender (immersion works perfectly), blend the tomatoes until mostly smooth. A few small chunks should remain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter together until the butter is melted.
- Add the garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for three minutes, until the mixture is very fragrant.
- Add one teaspoon of salt, the blended tomatoes, basil, onion, tomato paste, and sugar. Stir until completely smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and let simmer for 1 hour or until reduced by half. Salt to taste.