Biscuits with a sweet and savory twist. The strawberry basil combination is decadent and yet healthy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup basil leaves, chiffonade (or chopped even smaller)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- butter, honey, and strawberries (for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, quickly work the butter into the flour mixture until it is the size of small peas and resembles course meal. Mix in the chopped basil leaves.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the honey into the milk completely. Add the egg, and beat until incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until it is coming together. Don’t worry if it is a little bit crumbly! Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat (or roll) into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Fold one third towards the middle, then the other third over the middle as well. Roll out to be 1 inch thick, cut yoaur biscuits and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes, then serve immediately with butter, honey, and sliced strawberries.