- 2 cups cooked corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt, plus extra to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (or whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Olive oil, for frying
- For garnish: sour cream, lime, avocado, and tomato
- In a food processor, combine 1 1/4 cups corn, the jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and garlic. Pulse until very finely diced, but not completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the processed mixture with the remaining corn, all spices, cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, and eggs. Mix until fully incorporated. Add more cornmeal (or flour) as needed.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil. When the oil is hot and glossy, form the batter into patties (it should be slightly sticky, but not enough to make this step impossible), and cook in batches.
- Cook each patty until golden brown on each side, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with sliced avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime.