- 20 oz zucchini (2-3 medium zucchinis)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp minced chives
- 1 whole jalapeño
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil, for frying
- sour cream
- With a large box grater (or food processor with a shredding disk!), shred your zucchini. Toss it with 1 tsp salt and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, either use the food processor or finely chop together the chives, jalapeño, and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- When the zucchini is ready, squeeze the excess liquid out of it either by wringing it in a cheese-cloth. Return the deflated zucchini shreds to a medium bowl.
- Mix the egg and minced jalapeño/chives/garlic into the zucchini shreds, then add the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. The mixture should be cohesive, not dry, but also not drippy. If you need more liquid, add milk one tsp at a time.
- Heat a few Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is good and warmed up, drop large spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture into it. Gently flatten the fritters with the back of your spoon. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes: they should be a beautiful golden brown on each side. If this is happening too quickly, turn down the heat.
- Keep them warm by transferring cooked fritters to a baking sheet in your oven, heated to 200 F. Serve with sour cream, if desired.