- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh fruit and syrup for topping
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice. Let sit at least 5 minutes before beating in the eggs, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Using clean fingers, press the zest into the sugar to release the citrus oils. Add the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, taking care to not over-mix. It’s okay if the mixture is lumpy here!
- Let the batter sit for five minutes, while you preheat the oven to 200 F and heat a skillet over medium heat.
- When the batter is ready, pour 1/4 cup at a time onto the hot griddle (use butter if the griddle isn’t non-stick). Cook until the sides are set, and bottom is golden. Flip, and cook until both sides are golden.
- Keep the finished pancakes in the oven until you’ve cooked all of the batter.