- For the Tofu and Dressing
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu
- 2 4" stalks of fresh lemongrass
- 1" fresh ginger root
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha, or other hot pepper sauce
- For the Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked farro
- 2 radishes, sliced very thin
- 2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, sliced to thin half-moons
- 1/2 cup fresh thai basil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- Cut the tofu into 1/2" steaks and heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Sear the edges of the tofu until golden brown, making sure to not crowd the steaks together. Cook until you've seared all sides of all tofu steaks.
- With a rolling pin, beat the lemongrass to break it down. Remove the outermost layer and discard. Cut the rest into 1" pieces, and add to a food processor or sturdy blender. Add the ginger, and blend both until very finely ground.
- Combine the ground lemongrass/ginger with the rest of the dressing ingredients in a large ZipLock bag. Mix together, then add the warm tofu. Let marinade at least 30 minutes, and overnight if possible.
- When you're ready to assemble the salad, cook the farro according to directions (should be 2x water to 1x farro, for 25 minutes or until your desired chewiness). Slice all of your vegetables while the farro is cooking.
- While the farro is cooking, remove the tofu steaks from the marinade — KEEP THE MARINADE CONTENTS IN THE BAG — and bake at 400F for 12 minutes on each side.
- When the farro is done cooking, discard any extra water, and pour in the marinade contents. Toss, add salt or soy sauce as needed, and then arrange with a little bit of each vegetable and a tofu steak or two.