- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, halved
- 1 large bunch of kale (6-8 cups torn leaves, stems removed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large (fist-sized) beet, uncooked
- 2 large carrots
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 2/3 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz chevre, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer and bake for 7-9 minutes, or until fragrant. Don't burn them! Remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Cut the kale into small pieces (smaller than dimes). In a large bowl, combine the kale with 1 tsp of the olive oil. Using both hands, reach into the bowl and squeeze/massage the kale. Work with it for about 2 minutes, or until it has noticeably softened in your hands.
- Grate the beet and both carrots with the large setting on a box grater. Toss, along with the hemp hearts and cherries, into the kale.
- Combine the remaining olive oil with the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Toss with the salad, then top the salad with the hazelnuts and goat cheese.
- This salad can be made a few hours head of time, and stored in the fridge.