- 1 1/4 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp light tahini paste
- 4 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 1/2 Tbsp ice water
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of water. The next day, drain them.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the drained chickpeas and the baking soda. Cook for three minutes, stirring the entire time. Add 6.5 cups of fresh water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20-40 minutes (will depend on your chickpeas), until the chickpeas are very soft to the touch. Drain.
- Process the chickpeas (alone) in a food processor until very smooth and thick. With the processor running, add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic cloves, and salt. Once that is smooth, slowly drizzle in the ice water (processor is still running) and continue processing for 5 more minutes. It should be extremely smooth!
- Remove the hummus from the processor, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.