- 4 oz pecans
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 6 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a 8x8" baking pan with tin foil and butter.
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes, until they smell nutty. Remove from the oven and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the cocoa, salt, and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Pulse until finely ground.
- In a large saucepan, cook the butter over moderately high heat, swirling the pan occasionally. Once it foams, whisk continually until the butter is golden-brown and smells nutty. Pour into a separate dish with the baking chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes, then add the coffee and stir until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs with the remaining sugar until tripled in volume — about 5 minutes. Fold in the chocolate mixture, then the chocolate-pecan mixture. When fully combined, pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out of the middle with just a few moist crumbs. Let cool completely before cutting.