- 1 large carrot (8 oz.)
- 8 oz. daikon radish
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup distilled vinegar
- Cut both the carrot and daikon into matchsticks slightly shorter than the jar you plan to use. I cut mine to about 3" long.
- Toss the matchsticks with the salt and let sit for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes (quite a bit of liquid should be released) rinse well (multiple times) with cool water.
- Drain the water and pat the matchsticks completely dry.
- Dissolve the sugar into the hot water, stirring until totally dissolved. Add the remaining (cool) water and distilled vinegar. Stir.
- Put the matchsticks into your clean jars, then pour the vinegar solution into the jars until just covering the matchsticks. Seal, and refrigerate.
- Let these sit for 24 hours, or more if you want a more pickled taste.