This Quick Stovetop Mac and Cheese recipe is easy to make, quick, and kid-friendly — this dinner will be a family favorite!
- 8 oz dry pasta
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk, heated
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any, I used 1/2 gruyere 1/2 cheddar)
- salt + pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta according to directions.
- As pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is completely melted, add the flour and whisk it into the butter. Continue whisking and cooking for 6 minutes. The mixture will darken a bit.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the heated milk into the saucepan and whisk vigorously to break up the butter and flour mixture.
- Add the rest of the milk and continue whisking. Cook until the sauce has thickened substantially, or to your liking. You can thin it with more milk if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to low, and mix in the shredded cheese. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and pour over the cooked noodles.
- Toss noodles and sauce together, adding salt and pepper to taste.