- 8 chilies, assorted (careful if they're spicy! choose some mild ones!)
- 2 30 oz. cans tomato puree
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery (chopped) or 1/2 t. of celery seed
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Line a baking pan with foil, and arrange the chilies in a single layer. Broil 5" under the broiler until charred (5 minutes), then flip and allow the other side to char. Remove from the oven, and let cool until you can handle them.
- Slice off the stems of the chilies, and combine them with some of the tomato puree in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, add the blended chilies, tomatoes, onion, celery, parsley, bay leaf, and veggie stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and blend the soup until smooth. Put through a fine mesh sieve or food mill.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste, along with more vegetable stock if the consistency is too thick.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh parmesan cheese, or store in an airtight container.