- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- flaky sea salt
- Lightly spray an 8″x8″ pan with vegetable oil, then line with parchment both ways, and spray the parchment. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, gently stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the mixture reaches a boil, let it cook relatively undisturbed (swirl occasionally) until it is a deep amber-brown. This takes about 10 minutes, give or take a few.
- Remove from the heat and add the sweetened condensed milk and butter. It will bubble furiously, so whisk and be careful! Whisk until it is completely smooth again, then return to medium-low heat.
- Cook, whisking continuously, until the candy thermometer registers 240 F. Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon, vanilla, and 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk until smooth, then pour into your prepared pan.
- Liberally sprinkle sea salt over the top, and let cool before cutting and wrapping in wax paper.