- 1 lb dry pasta (penne or rotini work well)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, fineley minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 29 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, and cook the pasta according to directions.
- As the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the shallot and cook for 1 minute before adding the nutmeg and thyme.
- Add the kale to the shallots, and cook for 3 minutes, or until somewhat wilted.
- Add the pumpkin puree, parmesan, cheddar, and milk to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook until warmed through (cheese should melt).
- Season generously with salt (1-2 tsp) and pepper (1/2-1 tsp) before tossing the (drained) pasta with the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into a 9×13 pan and top with breadcrumbs, and more cheese if desired.
- Bake until the top is golden, 25-30 minutes.