- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1” pieces
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 5 strips bacon, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup minced apple
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, + 2 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Toss the cubed sweet potatoes one Tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until fork-tender (about 30 minutes).
- When the sweet potatoes are almost done roasting, heat a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, then remove the bacon and leave the fat in the pot. Set the bacon aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot, scraping with a wooden spoon to get the bacon bits off of the pot. After one minute, add the apple, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Cook for five minutes, or until the apples are fully softened.
- Add the (hot) roasted sweet potatoes, cook for one minute, then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Add more broth as necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bacon and avocado on top.