- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tsp adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups black beans, cooked (1 cup of liquid preserved)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup small tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, diced white and light green parts
- 4 tortillas
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder and stir together with a spatula. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softening. Add the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, along with the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds before adding the black beans and 1 cup of their liquid. Stir everything together, along with 1 tsp of salt.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to crush some of the black beans as they cook again. When much of the liquid is absorbed, add salt and pepper to taste, along with the spinach leaves.
- Just as the leaves wilt, make five divots in the beans and crack one egg into each divot. Cover the pan and let cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking. Depending on how high your heat is, this could take more/less time.
- When the eggs are done, remove from the heat and top with cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and green onions.
- Serve with any other toppings (sour cream, hot sauce, guacamole, etc.) you want, on top of tortillas or with tortilla chips.