- 1 1/2 cups dried split yellow peas
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 small green chillies, pricked with a sharp knife
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Rinse the peas, then cook in 3 cups of water at a simmer until very soft (45 minutes). Add more water if necessary. Remove from heat, stir with a fork or whisk to break up some of the peas, and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the garlic and tomatoes. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the cumin and stir, cooking, for 20 seconds before adding the onion, green chillies, and minced ginger. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato/garlic puree, along with the turmeric, garam masala, and ground coriander. Add 1/2 cup of water, stir to combine, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for 15-20 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Add the lentils to the cooking tomato mixture after 20 minutes, and more water to achieve your desired consistency. Cook until heated through, then season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir in the fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve with rice or some sort of bread.