This healthy breakfast featured roasted vegetables and sprouted lentils, delivering a nutritional punch! Add whatever extras you want, and throw a fried egg on top for a filling, healthy start to the day.
- 1/4 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup assorted roasted vegetables
- I used cauliflower, brussels, and sweet potatoes
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 radish, sliced
- 1 egg, fried or poached
- Soak your uncooked lentils in clean water for 12 hours. Drain, and return to a jar.
- Cover the jar with mesh, or cheesecloth, and secure.
- Let the jar sit at room temperature for 2-3 days, but uncover, rinse, and drain the lentils every 12 hours or so.
- The sprouts are done when you can visibly see sprouts at least 1/2" long.
- Rinse one final time, let dry a bit, then refrigerate in a sealed container. Eat within 3 days.
For the bowl
- First, roast your vegetables. (Preheat the oven to 400F, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Optionally, add a ground spice (I used turmeric for the cauliflower, and smoked paprika for the sweet potatoes). Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes — this will depend on the vegetable, so check frequently.)
- In a bowl, layer arugula, roasted vegetables, sprouted lentils, avocado, and radish. Add any other vegetables you'd like!
- Fry or poach an egg, add it to the bowl, and enjoy!