- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups (or more) flour, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- butter for pans
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Heat the milk and 3 Tbsp butter together in the microwave (or stovetop) until the butter is melted. Let cool to 115F before adding the yeast, and letting proof for 5 minutes.
- When foamy, add to a stand mixer bowl with 1 cup flour, sugar, egg, and salt. Mix for 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add an extra 2 cups of flour — and more as necessary to keep the dough from sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- When the dough has come together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for about 5 minutes — until the dough is very smooth and not sticky (add flour as necessary, but try to add as little as possible).
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and let rise until doubled in size: about 2 hours.
- Butter a 9×12 baking dish, or two 8×8 square pans.
- Toss the chopped strawberries with the 2 Tbsp sugar, and let sit in a colander set over a bowl (to preserve liquid) for 15-30 minutes.
- When the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll out into a 11″x18″ rectangle. If it is pulling back too much, let it rest for five minutes before trying again.
- Pour the melted 5 Tbsp butter over the rectangle of dough, and spread it over the surface — leaving 1 cm around the edges without butter. Spread the brown sugar evenly over the buttered area, and gently press into the dough. Sprinkle the sugared strawberries evenly over the brown sugar.
- Roll the dough tightly, from the longer side, into a log. Pinch the seam closed.
- Mark the log at 1 1/2″ intervals, and then cut the rolls. Place the rolls into your dish, evenly spaced with about 2 cm between each other. Cover, and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F, and when the rolls are ready, bake for 20 minutes. The tops should be turning brown, but just barely so.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the icing. Combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar with 1 tsp vanilla and 2 – 4 Tbsp of the strawberry juice from earlier. Mix until smooth.
- When the rolls have cooled significantly, liberally drizzle the icing over the tops.