Simple, spicy and delicious. These cookies are a fun break from a traditional sugar cookie.
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Grind pecans in food processor until fine, then combine with all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs and combine. Mix dry ingredients in, cover and chill for 2 hours.
- When fully chilled, roll dough out in batches until 3/8" thick and cut into stars with a floured cookie cutter. Bake at 350 F for 8 minutes. Cool on a rack until entire cooled.
- Mix powdered sugar, orange peel, and orange juice together. Ice the cookies and let dry for an hour.
- When baking, these cookies won't look done at all. Take them out of the oven anyways.
- I usually just glop on the icing and let it run off the edges, but this time I had some leftover royal icing so I made edges before flooding it. Either way works.