- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 large beets, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3–4 eggs
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until done but not crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside, leaving the fat.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beets to the pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato to the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until both the beets and sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Allow pieces to brown on the bottom of the pan during this process!
- Add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and return the bacon to the pan. Mix thoroughly.
- Make three (or four) slight wells in the mixture, crack an egg into each well, and cover the pan with a lid. Let cook until the eggs are set, about 5 minutes.
- When the eggs are done, remove from heat, top with chopped green onions, and enjoy!