- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grated sweet potato
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Green onions and cabbage, as garnish
- Cook the quinoa according to directions, and set aside to cool.
- As the quinoa is cooking, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet.
- In the skillet, cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the grated sweet potato and all of the spices. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool enough to handle before continuing.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, breadcrumbs, cheese, and cilantro, then add the cooled quinoa and vegetable mixture. Mix to fully combine.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat more olive oil before adding the batter in small dollops (or shaped into small patties). Cook until golden on each side, about 2 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of greens or cabbage, garnished with green onions.