- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2–3 large sweet potatos, scrubbed and cubed
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 4–6 cups of water
- 29 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 8 drops of Tabasco Sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- pasta and grated cheddar cheese for serving
- In a large heavy soup pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and beef. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is browned.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and all the spices, and cook for another minute, stirring well.
- Add 4 cups of water, the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, Tabasco, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Allow the chili to cook for at least one hour, and up to three for more flavor. Add water as needed.
- Ten minutes before serving, stir in the black beans and cook to heat them through.
- Serve over pasta, topped with cheddar cheese.