- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh is better!)
- 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 slices bread, sourdough or brioche, sliced 1-inch thick, day-old
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- Combine all ingredients, eggs through salt, in a 9x13 baking dish. Beat until fully combined.
- Lay the sliced of bread across the mixture, flip, and let soak for at least 10 minutes, or until soaked through.
- Flip again, and let soak for 10 minutes, or until soaked through.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, and melt the butter in the skillet.
- Add slices to the pan, as many as can fit without touching, and cook until golden (about 3 minutes per side).
- Serve with maple syrup, berry topping, and powdered sugar.