This vegan chocolate ice cream has a rich, dark chocolate flavor and maintains a soft texture thanks to crème de cacao. Even if you aren’t vegan, you’ll love this ice cream! Feel free to substitute a different alcohol for the whiskey — but don’t skip it: the alcohol is necessary to avoid an icy final texture.
- 30oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp whiskey
- Confirm that your ice cream maker is ready to go (this usually means freezing the bowl overnight).
- Combine the coconut milk, sugar, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, salt, cornstarch, and vanilla extract together in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer for two minutes before removing from the heat.
- After cooling for a few minutes, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the chocolate, and refrigerate until completely chilled (2-4 hours).
- When the mix is completely chilled, follow the directions for your ice cream maker to make the ice cream. About 10 minutes into the churning, add the whiskey. When the ice cream is done churning, transfer to a freezer-safe container and let freeze until totally solid (8+ hours).