This small batch recipe yields 2-3 vegan cinnamon rolls without any unusual ingredients. They're light and fluffy, and take about three hours to make.
- 1/3 cup Pacific Foods Organic Oat Beverage (Original)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp Pacific Foods Organic Oat Beverage (Original)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1+ cup powdered sugar
- In a very small mixing bowl, heat the oat beverage to 115F (no hotter), then stir in 1 Tbsp sugar before sprinkling the yeast over top. Let the yeast proof for 5 minutes.
- While the yeast is proofing, whisk together 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp of the flour, the salt, and remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar.
- Once the yeast has proofed, add it to the flour mixture along with 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil. Mix to combine (I found my hands to be effective here), then begin kneading. Knead between your hands, or on a countertop, using as little flour as possible — you should not need to use more than 1 (maaaybe 1.5) Tbsp extra during this process.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and let rise until doubled in size: about 2 hours.
- When the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll out into a long, thin rectangle (approximately 4"x12". If it is pulling back too much, let it rest for five minutes before trying again.
- Pour 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil over the rectangle of dough, and spread it over the surface — leaving 1 cm at one short end dry. Spread the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the buttered area, and gently press into the dough. Roll the dough tightly, from the short side, into a log. Press the seam closed.
- Cut the log in half, or into thirds, taking care not to squish it too much. I use dental floss wrapped around the entire log for this. Place the rolls into a lightly oiled pan, or individual muffin tin wells.
- Let rise for 45 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and when the rolls are ready, bake for 20 minutes. The tops should be turning brown, but just barely so. Remove from the oven and let cool just a few minutes before removing from their pan (they will stick if you leave them too long).
- To make the frosting, use a fork or small whisk to combine the vegan cream cheese, oat beverage, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir vigorously until smooth.
- When the rolls have cooled slightly, liberally spread the frosting over the rolls.
Keywords: vegan cinnamon rolls, vegan small batch cinnamon rolls, small batch cinnamon rolls