- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup pecans
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 ounces chopped chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk the egg white until frothy, then whisk in the sugar and paprika. Toss with the pecans, until they are fully coated, and spread in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, until the are golden and dry. Remove from the oven and set aside. (you can do this up to a week in advance!)
- Combine the cream, milk, butter, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- While you’re bringing the cream mixture up to a simmer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt, and chocolate.
- When the cream mixture just reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and, whisking constantly, add 1/2 cup at a time to the chocolate and egg mixture. Once you’ve added about half of the milk mixture to the chocolate, pour the chocolate into the saucepan with the remaining milk and whisk to combine.
- Return to the heat and cook for another two minutes, or until thickened. Remove and serve immediately with the candied pecans.