- 3 cups AP flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the shredded cheese, then cut in the butter. When there are no chunks of butter larger than a pea, add the egg and buttermilk. Gently mix until mostly incorporated (it's okay to still be a bit crumbly).
- Turn the dough out onto the counter and use your hands to bring it together and distribute the moisture — but don't overwork it! Shape into a 1" tall rectangle, and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the centers are fully cooked.