- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup spicy salsa
- 2+ cups of vegetable broth
- 1 lb. whole wheat pasta, uncooked
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or colby jack or Mexican cheese mix)
- tortilla chips & fresh cilantro
- In a very large skillet over medium heat, add the cooking oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for two minutes before adding the bell pepper, ground cumin, and chili powder.
- Cook for three more minutes before adding the tomato sauce, salsa, 2 cups of broth, and the dry pasta.
- Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat, stirring every few minutes, until the pasta has absorbed all of the liquid and is soft. If you need to add more broth (or water), so do.
- Just before the pasta is done, add the beans and corn. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the pasta is finished, sprinkle the melted cheese over the top (transfer the pasta to an oven-safe pan if your skillet is not oven-safe), and broil 3" under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling (about 2 minutes).
- Serve hot, topped with crushed tortilla chips and fresh cilantro.