These are the best cupcakes on the planet.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and prepare muffin tins with liners.
- In a small bowl, scrape the inside of the vanilla bean into the sugar. Using your (clean) fingers, rub them together until the vanilla is evenly distributed.
- In a different bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the sugar and vanilla bean mixture, and mix until fully incorporated.
- With a stand mixer, combine the butter with the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low speed until it resembles fine crumbs. This will take a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the milk, and mix until just combined. The batter will be very liquid — this is ok!
- Fill your prepared cupcake liners halfway full, then bake for 14-16 minutes. Use a cake tester to see if they're done: the cupcakes should not brown before they are done, so don't rely on the visual! If they aren't done at 16, test every 2 minutes until they are.
- Frost as you please, and enjoy!