This rich chocolate cake has bright cherries and a sweet cherry whipped cream on top — it’s gorgeous, easy, and a fan favorite!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup kirsch or juice from jarred cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup drained jarred cherries, halved
Cherry Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder.
- With a stand or hand mixer, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Combine the liquids together in a small bowl.
- Add dry mixture to the butter and sugar in three segments, alternating with the liquids. End with dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated. Do NOT over mix!
- Gently fold in drained and halved cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine the cherry whipped cream ingredients and mix with hand mixer until it holds soft peaks. Serve on top of cake!