This cake has been on my 'to do' list for quite a while now, so I figured I'd finally get to it and make one! It was well worth the effort, which was minimal, and turns out a delicious cherry-chocolate flavored cake, with just a hint of coffee. Whipped cream made with some cherry juice makes this dessert even more fun!
This cake isn't the heaviest pound cake you'll ever eat, but with such strong tastes, I'm not sure I could handle it any denser! I highly recommend including the coffee, which accentuates the chocolate without making it overtly coffee flavored.
This rich chocolate cake has bright cherries and a sweet cherry whipped cream on top — it's gorgeous, easy, and a fan favorite!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup kirsch or juice from jarred cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup drained jarred cherries, halved
Cherry Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder.
- With a stand or hand mixer, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Combine the liquids together in a small bowl.
- Add dry mixture to the butter and sugar in three segments, alternating with the liquids. End with dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated. Do NOT over mix!
- Gently fold in drained and halved cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 70 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine the cherry whipped cream ingredients and mix with hand mixer until it holds soft peaks. Serve on top of cake!