- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- With a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the sifted cocoa powder and beat again until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, and then two cups of the sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat for a few minutes, gradually adding the milk and remaining powdered sugar as needed: if it is too stiff, add more milk. If it is too runny, add more powdered sugar.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container.