- 1/2 lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 3 Tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2/3 lb medium shrimp, tails off (thawed, if using frozen)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan to serve
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the pasta according to the directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook for three minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, along with the spices. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently and using a wooden spoon to break up large tomato pieces.
- Let the tomato mixture cook for at least 5 minutes before adding the shrimp. If you’re using uncooked shrimp, cook in the simmering tomato mixture until opaque. If using cooked shrimp, wait until the tomato has cooked 10 minutes, then add the shrimp and cook until heated through.
- Add the cream, stir to combine, and cook until heated through. Remove from heat, stir in lemon zest, season with salt and pepper, then toss with the pasta.
- Serve with grated parmesan.