A simple whole wheat bread that makes wonderful toast, sandwiches or a side to any main.
- 1 cup warm water (100-110 F)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl to proof for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours. Add to proofed yeast, along with olive oil.
- Mix until dough is formed.
- Turn out onto a flour surface and knead until smooth and elastic – 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size – 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and shape into two loaves: flatten each piece into a rectangle, then roll it up and pinch along the seam.
- Place, seam-side down, on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, cover, and let rise again until doubled in size – 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. When dough is ready, bake for 17-20 minutes, until top is golden and loaf sounds hollow when you knock on it.