- 11 ounces dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamom, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and butter generously.
- In 30 second increments, melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave. Stir until completely smooth and melted. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of a mixer, and beat on high until very pale and fluffy — about five minutes.
- Mix the vanilla, salt, and 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom into the melted chocolate, then fold the chocolate into the egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high until they hold stiff peaks. Fold carefully into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the torte has cooled, heat the heavy cream until near boiling. Add the chocolate chips and let sit for two minutes, then stir until completely smooth. Add 1/2 tsp ground cardamom, and either serve immediately with the cake or pour over the cake and let set one hour.