I told you I was on a cardamom kick. How have I *just* discovered how brilliant this spice is!? Seriously: I want to put it in e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.
This cake has been floating around pinterest for a while and immediately grabbed my attention. I know I love flourless chocolate tortes, and usually make them as my go-to “I need a dessert everyone will like” option. With cardamom? Awesome. I can get into this!
My favorite part, as usual, is the ganache. I can’t turn away a good ganache! This one is kicked up with cardamom (duh) and ESSENTIAL for this cake. At first I served it fresh/runny on the side, but then I ended up pouring it over the entire cake, like frosting. You could go either way — both are delicious!
Flourless Chocolate Cardamom Torte
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 11 ounces dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamom, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and butter generously.
- In 30 second increments, melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave. Stir until completely smooth and melted. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of a mixer, and beat on high until very pale and fluffy — about five minutes.
- Mix the vanilla, salt, and 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom into the melted chocolate, then fold the chocolate into the egg yolks.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high until they hold stiff peaks. Fold carefully into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the torte has cooled, heat the heavy cream until near boiling. Add the chocolate chips and let sit for two minutes, then stir until completely smooth. Add 1/2 tsp ground cardamom, and either serve immediately with the cake or pour over the cake and let set one hour.