- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- cupcake liners
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted.
- Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and salt, then eggs, until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake until the tops are set, about 15 minutes.
- Let fully cool before frosting.
- For frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter together in a stand mixer. Mix until fully incorporated, light, and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then divide evenly among cupcakes.